No matter how you celebrate the holiday season, food is a major part of those celebrations. And no holiday spread is complete without the right drinks. We all have our favourite festive drink, whether it’s an alcoholic one or a non alcoholic one!
Unfortunately, a lot of our holiday favorites are high in sugar, fat, and are full of not-so-great ingredients like dairy and alcohol.
The holiday season is a time to reflect on the past year and all you’re thankful for, not worrying about what you eat or drink. Its been one hard year for me- major understatement- but hey, its behind me and I get to keep our fight and my son…I think that it is important to remove as much stress from the holiday season as possible. If you like your booz then don’t mind me just drink in moderation and enjoy. If you feel like experimenting this year, check out my favourite drinks and tell me what you think!
Take a look through this list of smoothies, elixirs, and other favorites— I think you’ll find something you’ll be able to enjoy all winter long!
As you all know I am currently in Vienna, so I know there’s nothing like a warm or hot drink on a cold day. Whether you love a hot cup of coffee, tea, hot chocolater, or even a warm alcoholic drink like mulled wine, the right drink can make you feel at peace. So if you’re looking for something warm and comforting, give these a try.
Energy and Immune Booster
· 1 cup hot water
· 2 inches grated ginger
· 2 tsp maple syrup or honey or 1 date (blended in hot water)
· ½ lemon juice
· ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
· ¼ tsp turmeric
1. Pour hot water and grated ginger into pot. Bring to boil
2. Strain mixture and pour into cup.
3. Mix maple syrup, lemon juice, cayenne pepper, and turmeric. Enjoy!
You’ll love my SORT OF WINTER NON ALCOHOLIC DRINK especially if you’re avoiding alcohol or want to try something different after a holiday cocktail or two. I promise, you won’t miss the booze and even better than being alcohol-free, It’s dairy-free and can help you relax into a stress-free season of togetherness.
· 1 cup of oat milk
· 1 tsp. Maca powder
· 1½ tsp cinnamon
· ½ tsp ground ginger
· 1 tsp honey
· ½ orange, juiced
1. Warm-up your coconut milk to the desired drinking temperature and pour it into a large mug.
2. Place all your ingredients into the mug.
3. Using a frother, froth your elixir to reach a nice foamy consistency and to blend ingredients together.
4. Sit down in your favorite chair with your elixir and enjoy!
Holiday Apple Pear Smoothie
Apples and pears are perfect holiday fruits! They come in festive colors and are shaped like beautiful little ornaments— perfect to hang on the tree. It’s like they’re designed just for this special sweet season! So you can imagine this smoothie just had to make this list of vegan holiday drink recipes!
In addition to looking festive, apples and pears have important nutrients that everyone can benefit from during the holiday season. Pears can give you softer, more supple skin. They can also help minimize damage to collagen, helping your skin look its finest!
Apples have a special type of soluble dietary fiber— called pectin— that is particularly cleansing to your inner beauty. And let’s face it, who doesn’t need a little extra cleansing boost when all the holiday sweets are so easily at reach?
· 2 red apples, deseeded and cubed
· 1 pear, deseeded and cubed
· 1 cup coconut water
· A sprinkle of cinnamon
· A sprinkle of cardamom
1. Add all of the ingredients to your blender and blend until smooth.
2. Serve and enjoy!
Hot Chocolate Protein Smoothie Booster
If you are a chocolate lover, holiday drink lineup is complete without hot chocolate. One sip and you’ll agree!
This comforting, antioxidant-rich, and protein-packed smoothie will boost your immunity and your energy so you can keep up with all that wonderful holiday hustle and bustle. Thank you, cacao!
To make this recipe even better you can even add some coconut whipped cream on top for added fun for you and the kids! Just be mindful that this smoothie contains cacao which contains some caffeine and can be a bit of a stimulant if you drink a lot.
· 1 cup unsweetened hemp milk
· 1 rounded scoop of vegan protein powder
· 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder
· ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
· 1 banana
· 1 tbs. chia gel (chia seeds soaked in water in a 1:9 ratio)
· Freshly ground black pepper (for an extra kick!)
· 1 tsp honey
1. Add all ingredients to the blender. Starting the blender on a low speed, blend until smooth. If needed gradually increase to higher speeds and blend until smooth.