Its been a while since my last post in English so here it comes!
Another summer favorite and rather gut friendly I must say is the courgette.
It is the most popular vegetable of the squash family and Cypriots live to make it with eggs! Kolokythakia me auga! It is extremely versatile, tender and easy to cook. Please don’t boil them! They tend to become soggy and spongy and loose their glory! Also known as zucchini!
In Cyprus, zucchini is at its best from June until September and my favorite from this family is Palkapa, the one we make with fresh black eye peas (LOYVI).
Zucchini does not need peeling and in my opinion the best way to cook is steamed with carrots, potatoes, olive oil and lemon!
I do slice them thinly, deep them in a light butter and cook them in the oven one parchment paper with olive oil. Kids love them!
Please try also my sweetcorn and courgetti pancakes which are also a party favorite!
Also notice how I use avocado oil which is really a very trendy and healthy oil to use nowadays! Will elaborate on avocado oil in another post. Special thanks to my runner friend Aliki for giving me the avocado oil! You can understand what we talk about as we run together!
Ingredients (serves 2)
· 200 gr sweetcorn defrost
· 2 spring onions, finely chopped
· 50 gr zucchini
· 1 tsp paprika
· 50 gr pistachios (beat in blender) or 50 gr whole-wheat flour
· 5 eggs, 1 beaten, 4 for poaching
· 40 ml milk alternative or goats
· 1 lemon juice
· 1 Tbls avocado oil or olive oil
1. Mix the sweetcorn, spring onions, zucchini, paprika, nuts, beaten egg and milk and salt and pepper in a large bowl.
2. Put a large pan of water on to boil (for the rest of the eggs)
3. Heat the avocado oil in a large non-stick sauce pan and spoon in four burger-sized mounts of the mixture. You may need to do this in 2 batches. When brown on the underside, turn over and cook for 3 minutes until golden.
4. Meanwhile poach the eggs in the simmering water and remove with a spoon.
5. Serve the zucchini pancakes topped with a poached egg.